Spicy Shrimp with Pesto Noodles
Mon, 2016-09-12 15:55 media@americann...
Prep & Cook time
Ingredients & Amounts
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup mixed basil and/or parsley (more basil is better, but sub parsley if you don't have enough)
- ¾ cup almonds
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of one lemon (or 2 if your lemon isn't very juicy)
For the Shrimp and Noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 1-2 teaspoons each chili powder and cumin, plus any other spices you like
- salt and pepper
- 4 medium zucchini
- For the pesto, pulse all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth (or until you reach desired consistency). This will make about 2 cups of pesto. Set aside one cup for this recipe and save the other cup for something else later (you can freeze it, but we just keep it on hand in the fridge because it goes really well on just about anything).
- Heat the butter or oil over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and toss with the spices - I usually just do this right in the pan to save myself a dish, and I don't really measure the spices - I just eyeball it until they get pretty well coated with spices. Sauté the shrimp until they evenly coated with spice and fully cooked (they will no longer be translucent).
- Cut the zucchini into long noodle-like shapes - the best way to do this is with a spiralizer but you can also use a peeler. Toss the zucchini noodles with the reserved pesto and top with the shrimp.