Sweet Potato and Chocolate Brownies
Fri, 2016-04-01 16:51 American Nutrit...
Prep & Cook time
Ingredients & Amounts
- ¾ c raw cacao powder if available –if not available, use the best cocoa powder you can find, preferably organic
- 1 c garbanzo bean flour
- 2 ½ c cooked, mashed baked sweet potato – about 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 t Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 t vanilla (alcohol free if you can find it)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 ½ c raw walnuts – rough chop meaning not too small
- 2 T ground flax
- 3 T nondairy milk – hazelnut or cashew milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line an 8 X 8” baking pan with parchment paper
- Scrub the four sweet potatoes; stick each one 3 or 4 times to allow for air to release while roasting. Wrap them in heavy foil and place directly on the oven rack to roast. You could probably roast the sweet potatoes rather quickly in a microwave oven. I do not use a microwave so you would know the best method and timing.
- When the sweet potatoes are fully baked scoop out the inside, place in a large bowl and mix together well with the cocoa and the garbanzo bean flour.
- Add the rest of ingredients to the above mixture and pour into the parchment paper lined pan. The batter should be thick and you may need to press the batter to the sides with the back of a table spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes- until a toothpick comes out clean
- The brownies will firm up upon cooling. These keep well in a covered container for a couple of days in the refrigerator.
Recipe and image by Carol D'Anca.
Dietary Restrictions (check all that apply)
About 20 brownies